With DePaul’s new art museum set for a grand opening next to the Fullerton “L” stop on Sept. 16, and the ceremonious groundbreaking for the new Theatre School last month, DePaul continues to update and expand our Lincoln Park Campus — all while keeping environmental sustainability in mind.
A new academic building, called Arts & Letters Hall, is being built on the Northeast corner of Kenmore and Belden. Construction is expected to finish in mid-October, and the building will open for classroom use on Jan. 2, 2012. The four-story building will house nearly 50 classrooms, a lecture hall and computer lab.
McGaw Hall (802 W. Belden Ave.) is scheduled to be torn down at the end of the 2012-2013 academic year to make room for a new School of Music building. There are also plans to renovate and add annexes to the current School of Music building at 804 W. Belden Ave. Plus, the interior of Concert Hall (800 W. Belden Ave.) will undergo renovation to make it an opera house.
All the new buildings are aiming for LEED’s rankings for environmental sustainability. McGowan South (1110 W. Belden Ave.) was completed in 2009 as a LEED Certified Green Building, receiving a gold ranking. The building features motion-sensor lights, dual handle toilets and low-energy hand dryers, among other green features.